As a current University of Maryland student whose major is not currently Computer Science, you are considered an internal transfer applicant. Computer Science is a limited enrollment program (LEP) major at the University of Maryland (UMD). There are forthcoming updates to the LEP guidelines which will be effective for students starting at UMD In Fall 2024 or later. If you are current student at the University, these LEP updates do not impact you or your ability to transfer into the Computer Science major.
Due to the volume of students in the Computer Science major, advisors are unable to meet with students prior to them officially declaring the major. Students will have the option to meet with a CMNS Peer Mentor if they have questions about the Computer Science LEP. Questions regarding the Computer Science major or minor can also be directed to to ugrad [at] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu (subject: CS%20Minor) - please include your full name and 9 digit UID in all email correspondence.
It is important to note, if you are starting the course sequence at CMSC131, CMSC133, or CMSC141, it will take a minimum of 7 semesters/terms to complete the major.
LEP Informational Sessions
Please check this space to in the near future to see when the Undergraduate Advising Office will be hosting an information session.
Gateway Requirements (for students who started at UMD prior to Fall 2024)
Students are required to complete the following gateway criteria to be eligible for the major:
- Completion of CMSC131 or CMSC133 or CMSC141 with a minimum grade of C-*
- Completion of CMSC132 or CMSC142 with a minimum grade of C-*
- Completion of MATH140 with a minimum grade of C-*
- A minimum grade point average of 2.7 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions
* Indicates an Exemption Exam is available for this course. These exams are only available to students before they matriculate to the University of Maryland.
All students will undergo a benchmark review after their second semester in the major or after they complete 75 cumulative credits, whichever comes second. Students in the major are required to complete the following courses:
- Completion of CMSC330 with a minimum grade of C-
- Completion of CMSC351 with a minimum grade of C-
- Completion of a STAT4XX course (prerequisite: MATH141) with a minimum grade of C- OR MATH/AMSC/STAT course (prerequisite: MATH141) with a minimum grade of C-
- A minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions
Per the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the LEP application is made available following the add/drop deadline of each semester. Internal Transfer applicant should complete the application during the semester in which they complete all required gateway courses or at the end of the semester. For more information, including application deadlines, visit the Undergraduate Admissions Current Student LEP Admissions page.
Important Note: If you are completing CMSC132 over the summer session, you are not eligible for the June deadline. You should apply for the January deadline.
The following guidelines pertain to all Limited Enrollment Programs
- Only one gateway or performance review course may be repeated to earn the required grade (C- or higher) and that course may only be repeated once. When more than one course can satisfy a gateway requirement, taking a second course from the list will count as a repeat. (Please note that a grade of "W" is considered an attempt.)
- Students may apply only once to an LEP.
- Students who were directly admitted and fail to meet the performance review criteria will be dismissed from the major and may not reapply.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 after admission to an LEP. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the major.
If you have been admitted to the Computer Science major as an internal transfer applicant, an email will be sent to your email of record, with steps to complete the major change process. These steps must be completed prior to the start of the upcoming semester. You will receive permission for your CMSC coursework when you are accepted to the Computer Science major. We ask that you do not fill out the non-major request form.
Internal transfer applicant applying for the Computer Science LEP will receive permissions for courses once they are accepted into the Computer Science major. We ask that students do not fill out the non-major request form. We cannot grant permissions prior to your registration date.
For summer courses: If you are applying for the Computer Science LEP by the fifth business day of June and wish to take courses over the summer, you will fill out the non-major request form.
- General Program Questions? We can be reached at ugrad [at] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu or 301.405.2672. When emailing, please include your full name and 9-digit UID.
- Questions Regarding Admissions Decisions? Contact ApplyMaryland [at] umd [dot] edu
- Want to make sure that Computer Science is right for you? Visit the University of Maryland's Computing Majors page for information regarding the different computing majors on campus.